New Babysitting Law In California

September 1, 2011

Sometimes I think I must have died during the night and woke up in the Twilight Zone.  Anyway, I thank God every day that I live in Texas! Here’s the latest news from the great state of California …

Babysitting Bill in California Legislature:

Under AB 889, household “employers” (aka “parents”) who hire a babysitter on a Friday night will be legally obligated to pay at least minimum wage to any sitter over the age of 18 (unless it is a family member), provide a substitute caregiver every two hours to cover rest and meal breaks, in addition to workers’ compensation coverage, overtime pay, and a meticulously calculated timecard/paycheck.

Assembly Bill 889 (authored by Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco, will require these protections for all “domestic employees,” including nannies, housekeepers and caregivers.

The bill has already passed the Assembly and is quickly moving through the Senate with blanket support from the Democrat members that control both houses of the Legislature – and without the support of a single Republican member. Assuming the bill will easily clear its last couple of legislative hurdles, AB 889 will soon be on its way to the Governor’s desk.

Failure to abide by these provisions … right HERE.

About these ads
  1. August 31, 2011 2:52 pm

WTF is wrong with these people?
    Bob A.

2. K. aka Kel permalink
    September 1, 2011 7:53 am

Oh, good grief… What on Earth brought *this* on????

• September 1, 2011 8:27 am

The “law makers” in Ca. had nothing else to do I guess!

• K. aka Kel permalink
      September 1, 2011 9:19 am

Ye-up – not like there’s anything else to do. Like concentrate on a failing economy, illegal immigration and Operation Fast and Furious…

3. Appetizer permalink
    September 1, 2011 11:18 am

It’s so Gov Brown can say, “I created a bunch of new jobs. And I can tax them now!”

4. September 2, 2011 12:17 am

It reminded me of all the neighborhood girls my father hired to babysit me when I was a kid in CA, so he could go out with his lady friends. If he’d had to pay tax on all that, he probably would have remained single much longer than he did.

Actually, that would have been a good thing, now that I think about it!

I foresee a lot more parents staying home on Friday and Saturday nights now. This won’t go over well.

• September 2, 2011 2:53 pm

I have a feeling it could pass. Like I said, I’m very thankful to be living in Texas.

5. Onan Salad permalink
    September 2, 2011 2:32 pm

The actual proposal, though ridiculous, is not as bad as it is intentional misrepresented here. It specifies a ten minute break after four hours and a 30 minute break after five hours. This proposal has very little chance of becoming law, and even if it did, enforcement would be impossible for traditional babysitters. The original purpose of the bill was to close loopholes in traditionally abused vocations (nannies, live-ins, etc), but it seems to have forgotten one important detail: a weekly minimum hours – say 36 – before the law is applicable.

• September 2, 2011 3:08 pm

Thank you for stopping by and commenting Onan Salad.
      I fail to see the “intentional” misrepresentation here though. Regardless of the specific, actual proposal, or however anyone chooses to address this, or the “little chance” of it becoming law, it boils down to a ridiculous intrusion of the government desiring only to control every aspect of our lives. That is the main reason I posted this.
      I’m of the mind-set that we don’t need the government regulating everything from the kind of light bulbs we can use to how individuals pay their babysitters.
      Whatever happened to two people making an arrangement … “I’ll pay you $50.00 to baby sit my kids tonight from 7 p.m. to midnight. Please don’t be late and take good care of my kids. Deal?” the other person either accepts the deal or not.
      Does anyone honestly think we need the government to regulate this?

• Imrastro permalink
      September 3, 2011 2:24 am

I’m in California and the law is targeted at Nannie abuse. You can say you are of a mind-set that we don’t need the government regulating everything from the kind of light bulbs we buy to how individuals pay their babysitters, but you’re simply ignoring what the law actually does when you say that. So, you’re against something that doesn’t exist. I suspect as well you are not a Nannie and don’t know much about some of the abuse they endure including extreme hours with no breaks whatsoever. This law has nothing to do with babysitters and everything to do with basic rights of fulltime workers.

• October 7, 2011 5:01 pm

You know and I know this law would be impossible to enforce so why Cali government is wasting tax dollars and time with this, shouldn’t they know it’s impossible to enforce? Next California will be trying to ban the sell of goldfish. Oh my mistake, San Fran tried that.

6. September 3, 2011 11:32 am

Thanks for commenting Imrastro.
    You’re in California. Hmmmmm … I’m not sure if that means alot, but I do feel sorry for you. Even though I’m a Texan I’m a pretty good reader of 30-40 books a year, so I can read the law and comprehend it for what it is. “Nannie abuse” … geez
    Like I said, we, at least here in Texas we don’t need the government in every aspect of our lives. Really, we’re smart enough to think for ourselves. But if the good people in California are abusing their nannies and babysitters and house keepers … maybe Californians need oversight there.
    Have a great weekend.

7. sam permalink
    September 7, 2011 10:02 am

This will just open the door to have more lawsuits – this time by disgruntled baby sitters. How dumb! Also, why don’t parents get mandatory “Breaks”?? I can’t believe this!!

8. Candace permalink
    October 4, 2011 5:35 pm

I was born and raised in CA. It was nice then. I am so glad I now live in another state. The inmates have truely taken over the aslyum.

9. Candace permalink
    October 4, 2011 5:37 pm

Imrastro I was never a nanny. I raised my kids not a stranger.

10. October 5, 2011 5:00 am

That’s the way it should be done Candace. I know in many cases now, it takes two people working in a family to make ends meet, but this law is as ridiculous as it comes. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

11. Rob permalink
    October 14, 2011 3:29 pm

LMAO, What a Sham!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 483 other followers